Thursday, December 6, 2007

odds and ends

This blog is 25 days and eight (nine counting this one) posts and 262 views old. I’ve had to delete a line from my last post after someone close to me told me it could offend people and make me seem arrogant, I’ve had to publish an addendum to post no. four, and I’ve had to correct a factual error that an alert reader pointed out in a stern comment. I had thought blogging would be easier than this! I think I should try to refrain from making smart comments that might offend people, and that I should double-check all facts, like a good ex-journalist. Something like this maybe:

A little bit more about Jet City Woman:

Size: 7.75 by 5.1 inches

Spine size: 12.5 mm

Pages: 191

Weight: close to 200 grams

Typeface: a variant of the Garamond family

ISBN number: 978-81-291-1278-1

Editor at Rupa & Co.: Richa Burman

Cover design by Aditya Pande, a south Delhi-based graphic designer

Typeset by a firm in Nehru Place, New Delhi

Printed by a firm in Noida, Uttar Pradesh

Price: Rs 195

It’s been more than a month since the book’s come out, but a few copies finally crawled into Guwahati only a few days ago. As far as I know it hasn’t yet reached Shillong, the place where I grew up and studied and have my oldest friends. Two factors behind this: there has generally been a very small market for books in northeast India (bookstores in Guwahati and Shillong mainly), and publishers aren’t too keen in going out of their way to promote books in that part of the country. A chicken and egg question really, and I can’t do anything to change it, but the most disappointing thing for me has been having to keep telling friends in Shillong that the book is on its way, on its way, on its way …

2 comments:

Phantasmagoria said...

Congratulations on the book. We think it is audacious on your part to assume that you can write about anything you want. No fun! We expect that you will cater to our individual demands. Um...please?

Bald Monkey said...

It is not arrogance man, it is just an artistic temperament. Go ahead and spew bile man -- that is what a blog is for. Actually that is what any communication medium is for !
:)

Instagram